Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 3 Orientation

September 3
A taste of Hogwarts
Today was the first official day of orientation and I did not know what to expect. I have made friends with the people on my floor and a few other but we, the international students are so spread out that it is hard to meet everyone. We gathered a lecture hall that did not comfortable hold all 500 of us.  That being said a whopping 171 of the international students are from the US and 108 are from China.  The rest range from around the EU and many more places. The morning session was nothing but information about Scotland, Glasgow and the school itself. Background information on the school it is the second oldest school in Scotland and the fourth oldest in Europe (founded 1451). There are about 26,000 students that attend the university. Walking to and from the university is a sight that will never grow old. I feel as if I am in my rightful place amongst the wizards and witches of Hogwarts.  The main campus building looks as if it was the inspiration of JK Rowling. Before arriving at the campus I have a nice walk through Kelvingrove Park (named after Sir Kelvin and alum of the uni). After the info session we had another info session with organizations from around the campus. The culminating event of the night was the Social Event, equipped with Scottish bar dancing, a free beverage, and a free meal. Dancing was a hoot and everyone, no matter if you had two left feet joined in.  I left after the dancing just before dinner to catch a movie called Samsara (check out the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xVp3N-M84) which was astounding.  The movie had no words but spoke many. To get to and from the movie we ventured in a taxi. This was the first time that I had to call a taxi and kept fretting that cost was going to be more that we could afford. I have just finished cooking a bland dinner of chicken breast, noodle, and store boughten spaghetti sauce.  Better than sandwiches I guess. By the way, there is no peanut butter in the UK!

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to hear you made it safely, with several interesting adventures. More adventures to come, I'm sure! I'm so happy and excited for you Maggie! Keep blogging, Scottish Lassie! B

    ReplyDelete